Project NOT abandoned!!

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I realize that there's been very little activity on the codeplex site. But NSynth is still a major interest of mine and I simply haven't had much time to work on it lately! If anyone reading this is interested in *using* NSynth for anything, please post here and let me know. That way I can focus my development time on implementing useful things.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Hey,

I have a Media Server and Rtp / Rtsp implementation @ https://net7mma.codeplex.com/

I have a need to provide a Video Decoder and Video Encoder for a few formats and I want to keep the code completely managed.

I have actually started porting jCodec and I just wanted to make sure this project is not going to get updated before I continue with all the porting.

Hopefully you will have some good news!
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Hi,

I have not had much time lately to work on this however, I did move everything from codeplex to github. the new project page can be found here: https://github.com/cathode/nsynth

I didn't try and keep the subversion history when i created the github project so effectively the source is about 82 commits ahead of what you see here on codeplex.

I forgot to update the codeplex site to reflect this, i should probably do so...

Let me know if you'd like to collaborate or whatnot. I typically put in a few hours a week on this project but I would like to put more time in.
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Collaboration definitely sounds like an option!

jCodec is also hosted at Github...

https://github.com/jcodec/jcodec

I have it almost half way ported and it seems that there is more work done in jCodec then in this library at the current time...

I will be making a project on CodePlex (nCodec) when the porting is done, at which point maybe we can then work to optimize the API and library and combine it with nSynth?

Thanks for the update!
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Sounds good. What is your license going to be for your nCodec project? Are you going to be doing a "direct" port of jcodec? With NSynth, I am not trying to match up to any existing API except for established patterns and practices set forth by the .NET framework. Just out of curiosity would it be feasible to implement desired codecs into NSynth and then wrap it with the ncodec project to provide the same API to transitioning java developers? Although if you're using a MIT/X11 compatible license then it's kind of a nonissue.
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Probably Apache 2, it will be a direct port feature wise but the api will be modified to be .net and I will be making improvements and optimizations as I can.

It does seem feasible to write them in nsynth but it seems there is just as much work which would as to complete the port.

It seems almost as if I should complete the port then work on nsynth to be more of a filter and graph system pipeline on top of it.

However I don't wanna bite off too much at one time and never get finished so in some ways I can see the benefit working on nsynth and porting the code into this library. .

If there was at least one working encoder / decoder working I would have even more reason but honestly you seem to have a pattern set and I don't wanna infringe on the design as my intention is more performance and eventually a media player in .net but that is farther down the road.

it would also have file reading and writing capabilities which would be essential for muxing and demuxing.

Overall I would like something to replace VLC / libav / direct show with an all managed solution.

The short term goal is to allow the rtsp server a way to provide thumbnails for live streams and transcoding to other formats as well as file based playback without any external unmanaged code.

Hope that made sense.
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM
I found something you may be interested in @https://github.com/mono/mooncodecs?files=1 Hopefully that helps get things started.

I will see about mpeg 4 and h264 decoding shortly.